Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Worst Day Ever in the History of Worst Days



So yesterday I was called into work after having a week off. I had a bad feeling about my arrival so I asked Brandon to wait outside. When I came into the office Mr. Brody callemd me into his Office, asked me how my time off was and totake a seat. Now for those of you who ddon't know Mr. Brody, he's a salesman for a living who thinks he can goad people into what he wants by making little implications or threats to their employment. Today was one of those days where he opened up with how the office didn't crumble to peices in the week I was off. I said something along the lines of "That's good to hear." And his response was "Not for you because if the office can run without you here, whyam I paying you?"

Now beyond the hours of free labor (And my own income spent on company resources without reimbursent), putting up with $150 a week of near minimum wage or listening to "threats" such as this... that's a good question, Why are you paying me? Now this is what I had wanted to say but instead I calmly countered that no company should completely depend on one person to the point that if they are gone for the week it would conpletely devestate them.

Seeing my point, he switched his angle to try and point out where I have failed to do my job. I backed up my responsewith examples and yet more polite reasoning that I never received any formal training so how would I know to do half of what he was coming up with. He countered with a weak "You have Amanda's number". Well I have called Amandamany times and she ddoesn't know what I have and haven't been trained on and tried to catch me up to speed on what she thought I needed to know which completely missed what I actually needed to know.

I felt much like a character in one of my video games at this point, battling a boss alone in an office setting arena. But then I realized I wasn't alone, when Mr. Brody sent me out of the office for the second time to take "an important call", I called on some backup. I said a few little prayers to God to help me out... perhaps not to keep myjob (For frankly at this point I was sick of working there.) But to give me the strength to stand up to him rather than kneel at his feet like so many times before and say "Yes sir, you're right... I'll work harder in the future."

When I returned to his office I started out saying "I have always preformed my job the the best of my abilities and know-how despite lack of training. Now if the issue is the company doesn't make enough to support my position, I completely understand and perhaps it would be better if I found other employment." Now this hit a nerve and at his stream of defensive comebacks that followed, I knew I had figured out the reason for this conversation.

In the end I was released from my employment on the basis that I had a bit of dog hair on my pants and a month ago myboyfriend walked around SSam's Club while I was working. These two things proved I wasn't following the company's mission statement and leading this company with integrity, honesty or a professional manner. (I'm dead serious to which is the hilarous part)



When I walked outside the office to catch a ride home with Brandon I discovered another problem. He had waited thirtyminutes and then left for home... this meant I had another three hours before he returned to pick me up.

Not wanting to sit around outside the office building for my ex co-workers to sneer or ask, "Why're you outside?" I grabbed my purse and started to trudge along the road in my office flats. Now my work is in Pensacola., however I live in Ensley which is a completely different town all together. I had a good eight mile walk ahead of me (However at the time I thought it was 14 due to what a man at a Gas station told me)

I won't bore you with the gruesome details of how hot the sun was, how creepy all the strangers who passed or yelled at me were or even how I nearly got heatstrpke along the way and threw up my sweet tea that I purchased from a whataburger on credit because that was the only card I had in my purse. But I was eventually saved by brandon less than a mile home when he saw me walking along the road to pick me up.



One day I'll go back to this day and write a book titled "The Worst Day Ever in the History of Worst Days" and have it spin off into a positive tale of life lessons and beauty... but for now I'm jusrt glad to be home.

2 comments:

  1. I really am glad it worked out. Daya like that happen from time to time but you did the right thing. When you ask for help, God shows up when you most need it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good way to look at it - Makes sense though. It had to be opposition.

    ReplyDelete