Saturday, April 6, 2013

Job Search Sorrows



Only four months into my new job as an Office Manager and I find myself searching once again for change of employment. 15 hours a week at $10 an hour may be good for most full time college students, but it's steadily becoming more and more difficult to support our growing family of three off of $600 a month.

The great thing about working as an Office Manager, however, is that it has "Manager" in the title. So this now opens up the job search to things like "Area Supervisor", "Assistant General Manager", "Assistant Director" or other fields that require "Management" experience.

So far it's pretty slow going with the internet crawling at half the speed of a small snail... but I'm managing. Ever since I turned 18, I never thought I'd have problem with the age requirement again but it seems as my work experience improves so does the "preferred" or "required" categories. Nearly half of the jobs I've looked at so far have an age limit of 21 as if someone at the age of a 2 year college graduate was less responsible than someone at the legal age to drink. (I'll take my chances on the 19 year old)

Despite my earlier enthusiam to switch my place of employment, I find myself dreading the "Turning in my notice" conversation with my boss. Everyone I've worked with has gone above and beyond to help me succeed in my place of work. Betrayal is the only word that comes to mind when I think of the looks on their faces when I tell them, "How could you let us down?" is another one.

Still in a world where I can barely make ends meet, my loved ones have to come before even my friends and co-workers. Looks like my Pizza Hut application finally loaded... wish me luck. :(

4 comments:

  1. Lots of Love, Luck and prayers to you my lovely and articulate daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dad... I just hope I can find something I enjoy without burning to many bridges in the process.

      Delete
  2. you are already doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping so, there's a saying about things being darkest before the good stuff or something... or maybe things were darkest before the storm... oh gosh I hope not

      Delete