Friday, April 19, 2013

Kyra the Future Editor?



Remember those little open-ended prompts they would give us in school to try and inspire us to reach for our dreams? "When I grow up I want to be..." For me this usually ended in things like, Video Editor, Web Designer, Singer or Professional Youtuber. While I did have a knack for writing, it always felt like a laborious chore unless I was truly interested in the subject. It's true, despite making the max score someone could possibly get on the Florida Writes Exam or Essay Writing and Comprehension section of the GED test... I believed it was just a talent I picked upfrom my mom that I would never really use in the professional world.

God had other plans for me though and I'm finding he doesn't just pass out talents willy nilly due to who your parents are. Due to the little income I made from my previous job, I was continually on the search for supplemental income and let my friends and family know I was searching as well. Finally Mom came back and told me her editor was more than likely retiring and she would need a new one. (Along with all of her clients.) It sounded different and I told mom to send me a copy of the book she needed edited and formatted (I picked up formatting quickly enough from a variety of tutorial sites and blogs)

Getting first hand practice, I almost enjoyed the work (Which is far more than I can say for previous jobs of mine)and a book of 20,000 words took only around eight to nine hours of solid work. (What normally takes other editors a week or two of work) Better yet, Mom's editor agreed to train me this Saturday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment